Monday, October 17, 2011

Siri: First impressions mean a lot

It's human nature to size up a new person in your life in the very first few minutes of meeting them for the first time.  Much the same can be said about software and online services.  But what happens when that software acts like a human being?  Let's just say that it had better deliver from the first few minutes, or you're probably not going to bother with it.  Fortunately, Siri doesn't disappoint.

If you haven't been keeping up with the latest Apple fanboy/fangirl news, then you might be excused for not yet hearing about Siri, the artificial intelligence that is part of the new iOS 5 but that so far works only on the new iPhone 4S.  I've only had my new phone since late Friday afternoon, so my experience in using Siri is somewhat limited.  But let me share a few highlights that might point toward Siri becoming a great new productivity tool.

Siri not only has the power of Nuance Communications for voice recognition (yes, the same wonderful people that have brought you Dragon Dictation software over the recent years), but also it can take apart the words you've just said and figure out what you probably meant.  If you want to read all of the funny questions that people have asked Siri (and the equally funny answers), there are plenty of other blogs out there where you can find those.  I'll focus on the slightly more serious side of Siri.  First, it definitely understands my voice, and that's with essentially no training.  I expect it will get even better with time.

Second, it has access to your location (well, if you allow it to), so it will understand what "here" means.  And that means that you can find the nearest this-or-that (restaurant, store, etc.) to where you are.  Obviously, you can also ask it for directions. 

Siri began by calling me "Andrew", but that is no surprise, since that's how I had "officially" listed myself when I bought the phone.  But I told Siri "call me Drew", and from that point forward, that's what Siri did.  (I resisted the urge to have Siri refer to me as "Lord and Master", as I aim for more subtle ways to boost my ego.)

I asked Siri to tell me what Barbara Lewis (my blog partner in crime here) had in the way of a mobile phone number, and Siri told me.  I then asked about Barbara's (no mention of "Lewis") work number, and Siri told me that, too, understanding by context which Barbara I meant.  And when I then asked for "her" email address, Siri continued to understand the context and correctly gave me that information, too.

I can use Siri to text messages for me, simply by voice (making it somewhat safer to text while driving), and to read aloud any text responses to me.  I've also set up Siri to use Twitter for me, using a little feature of Twitter where you can text Twitter and Twitter sends the text message out as a tweet. 

I'll keep you posted as to whether Siri can help my productivity by reading aloud my calendar, adding items to it, or doing similar things with my to-do list.  But if it can't do those things today, I know it's only a matter of time before it can.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can train Siri to write my blog postings for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment