Monday, October 3, 2011

Noted: And now for something completely simple...

One of the nicest thing about apps is that programmers can design one to do something very simple but also very useful.  For me, I can't think of a better example that the iOS and Android app Noted (from AnalogueBits), which has but one function: It lets you type in a message that is automatically mailed to your email address at the touch of a button.

In many ways, this is the ideal reminder that doesn't involve getting into a more complex to-do system.  It some ways, it's like a sticky note, but because it is designed to be emailed, it can go from there into my to-do system.

If I'm away from one of my desktop computers or my iPad, I can quickly type in that reminder ("Make a directional sign for the government documents shelf" or "Tell Barbara about the new website I found"), and then put it out of my mind, knowing that my email will have that reminder when I have the time/equipment to process my email.  Type.  Send.  Done.

What more can I say about it?  Oh, it does remember your older notes, but you can delete them if you like.  Or you can email them to someone else.  I haven't used that feature yet, but that's not why I got the app. 

Do you need Noted if you are already using Evernote?  Possibly not, but then again, maybe you need Evernote only when you're dealing with organizing and preserving notes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment