Thursday, December 1, 2011

Evernote: For all your note taking needs

We hope you all had a great holiday! My partner and I took a brief respite from blogging for Thanksgiving, but we're back and ready to blog.

Today I want to start telling you about Evernote. I say start because there's a lot to it and a full report will take more than one posting.

Evernote is a note-taking app that, according to their tagline, will help you "remember everything." I use it everyday - in formal or informal meetings to keep track of my action items or sitting in Starbucks (enjoying a chai tea latte) and jotting down ideas for an article I should write. I use it to help me keep track of an overwhelming multitude of user ids and passwords. I use it at ALA to take notes on the meetings and presentations I attended. And the list goes on...

One of the best things about Evernote is that it works on PC or Mac and on most smartphone and tablet devices. That's a great benefit, especially if you want to share your notes. It can also capture just about anything - you can type your notes or you can use the built-in recorder. I've used that to record focus group sessions. You can also add images or save entire webpages.

Of course, since it runs on so many devices, it has built-in syncing. That way, the changes you make in Evernote on your desktop are automatically reflected in your Evernotes on all of your other devices. And the app let's you create folders to help organize your notes.

Evernote does have some text formatting features, like bold, italics, bullets, and such. However, please remember that this is a note-taking app. Evernote is not word processing software. In fact, sometimes the simple formatting doesn't sync perfectly, especially from the desktop to an Evernote on a mobile device.

There's a great deal more to say about Evernote, but I'll leave that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment